I love Beautycounter for sharing these facts on their website and for being the safe, transparent, and healthful skin care and cosmetics company that they are and will always strive to be!
(1) The United States has not passed a federal law governing the cosmetics industry since 1938.
(2) There are approximately 12,000 chemicals used in the cosmetics industry—about 90% of these have never been assessed for the impact on long-term health.
(3) On average, an American woman uses 12 beauty products every day.
(4) This means that she’s likely exposed to 100 or more chemicals in those 12 products.
(5) Though it hasn’t been proven, some believe that women who wear lipstick will consume seven pounds of it, on average, over the course of a decade.
(6) Because of intellectual property laws, companies do not need to disclose what’s in “fragrance,” which is considered a “trade secret.” It may include hundreds of secret ingredients.
(7) The European Union has banned or restricted 1300 chemicals from cosmetics, but the United States has only banned or restricted 11.
(8) In the United States, 1 in 2 men and 1 in 3 women will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetimes.
(9) Currently, 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer. Only about 10% of these women carry a gene for the disease.
(10) 1 in 3 children will be diagnosed with autism, ADHD, allergies, or asthma. Though these issues are complex, exposure to toxic chemicals is thought to be one factor for the increase in these disorders or health issues.